Pre-requisite: MDE Responsible Personnel Certification – Click here to register online.
The Responsible Personnel Certification is required in Maryland by anyone overseeing the installation and maintenance of erosion and sediment control practices. This Certification is available through an on-line training course. There is no fee for the course and it should take 4-5 hours to complete, although does not need to be done in one sitting. At the successful completion of the course, a certification number and card will be generated by the program. You may print out the card and/or save the file electronically.
The online course covers:
- Ecological and resource values of waters of the State
- Effects of erosion and sedimentation
- Process of erosion
- State and Local E&SC laws, ordinances and regulations
- Responsibilities of supervisory and enforcement personnel
- E&S practices: purpose, installation, and maintenance
- This course is taught using the “2011 Maryland Standards and Specifications for Erosion and Sediment Control”.
Any questions pertaining to the MDE Responsible Personnel Certification should be directed to Pat Depkin at (410) 537-3628.
SHA Online Yellow Card Certification & Renewal Courses
The Erosion and Sediment (ESC) Course (Yellow Card) is mandatory for contractor superintendents and ESC managers and is highly recommended for contractor project managers. This class covers the Basic Science of Erosion and Sediment Control, Installing and Maintaining E & S controls, Using the E & S Quality Assurance checklist to monitor compliance, and the Design Modification Process.
Important Notable Information
- Successful completion requires an 80% or higher on the exam.
- SHA yellow cards will be mailed to the address used at registration within 10 business days of successful completion of the exam.
- Certification is valid for 3 years.
- Each registration allows 2 attempts to pass the exam.
$70.00 (MTBMA Members)
$35.00 (Government Employees)
- Yellow Card FAQs